Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#3 NYC Street Style

I recently hit the streets of Manhattan, camera in hand, ready to see what's trending in this fashion community. The streets of Manhattan are so unique! I've never experienced anything quite like it and its one of the many reasons I fell absolutely in love with this city. When you step out on the streets of the City, the pavement becomes your runway. No matter where you're headed people are watching and checking out your style, so always be prepared.

In the fashion capital, what appears on the runway isn't always what appears on the streets. Sometimes, quite the opposite happens. Many designers are incredibly inspired by this city and its no surprise why. New Yorkers have their own individual styles and have the power to start trends and influence what shows up on the runways.

I just so happened to stroll around 5th avenue down by Union Square. During the spring and summer, Union Square is one of my favorite places to visit because its always so alive! When I strolled around a couple days ago, one trend that immediately caught my eye were these big, lightweight, puffy, down coats! I've been seeing them absolutely everywhere in this city and the majority of them were black or dark grey. I did notice some navy blue ones and even some purples. And this trend is not restricted only to young people. I've seen men and women of all ages wearing them around the city. I'm not too sure how I feel about them in terms of style yet. I used to hate them but they're actually starting to grow on me now. Maybe I'll have to pick one up during an end of the season sale! ;)

All photos and design by Sean Drown

2 comments:

  1. Sean! Your blog looks so good! From your words, you can definitely tell you love this city- and fashion, obviously! But I totally love this post because I have been thinking the same thing! I was definitely a little apprehensive about those puffy jackets at first but now I'm starting to like them! Isn't it weird how trends can grow on you like that? Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you posted about this. I always hate wearing my big winter jacket because I feel like its so difficult to make it look chic. However, from your pictures, you have proven me wrong! I also love your creativity. From what you wrote, to your collage, it is so visually appealing and interesting.

    ReplyDelete